Alternative Sentences For Drug Crimes
Accused Of A Drug Crime? Find Out How To Stay Out Of Jail.
Being accused of a drug crime in Los Angeles or Orange County can be a scary experience, especially if you are facing a more serious drug offense, such as manufacturing drugs. At The Law Offices of Robert Ernenwein, PC., we have been able to get our clients’ charges reduced to lesser offenses, such as simple possession charges. A drug possession charge could make you eligible for an alternative sentence, including deferred entry of judgment, drug treatment under Proposition 36 or other minor penalty.
Deferred Entry Of Judgment
If you have never been accused of drug possession for personal use before, you may qualify for a deferred entry of judgment. In a deferred entry of judgment, you plead guilty to the charges, but the conviction does not go on your criminal record. You are given an 18-month period in which you will be required to take drug awareness and education classes for six months. As long as you do not have any further arrests or convictions during the 18 months, your case will be dismissed.
This option is not as simple as it sounds. You need to talk with an experienced Los Angeles drug attorney who can explain this alternative.
Proposition 36 Drug Program
In 2000, Proposition 36 was enacted, which requires drug treatment instead of jail time for most nonviolent drug offenders. If you are ineligible for a deferred entry of judgment, you may qualify for drug treatment under Proposition 36. You may complete the drug treatment as an outpatient or inpatient. To qualify, the drug conviction must be your first and it has to be a nonviolent offense, such as drug possession, under the influence of drugs, transportation of drugs for personal use or other similar charge.
There are other alternative sentences available that will keep you out of jail, such as probation, private drug treatment programs, or county or state-run drug treatment programs.
If you have been arrested for possession of drugs or another drug crime, you need to contact an experienced Torrance defense attorney by calling The Law Offices of Robert Ernenwein, PC., at 424-552-3901. We are former Los Angeles Deputy District Attorneys who will build a strong defense to keep you out of jail.
- Violent Crimes
- Criminal Threats
- Elder Abuse
- Second-Degree Murder In California: Different Than Zimmerman?
- Torrance Criminal Lawyers – Involuntary Manslaughter Defenses
- Murder Defenses In California
- Murder | Degrees
- What Can Be Learned About Your Defense
- Tips For Finding The Right Arson Lawyer
- Arson FAQs
- How To Fight Felony Arson Charges
- Child Endangerment
- Child Abuse & Child Endangerment | Resources
- Assault And Battery
- Assault & Battery Explanation
- California Assault And Battery Crimes
- Charged With Assault or Battery in Torrance, CA? What You Should Do if You Are Accused
- Weapons Charges
- Los Angeles Criminal Defense Lawyer: Carrying A Concealed Weapon
- Other California Weapons Charges
- Concealed Weapons
- Theft Related Offenses
- Auto Theft Defenses
- Petty Theft And Shoplifting
- Grand Theft vs Petty Theft
- Identity Theft
- California Identity Theft Law: Penalties And Defenses Available
- Facing Identity Theft Charges?
- White Collar Criminal Defense Attorney
- Identity Theft | Credit Card Theft
- Embezzlement Charges
- Charged With Embezzlement?
- Embezzlement | Burden of Proof
- Sex Crimes
- Drug Offenses
- How To Avoid A Drug Crime Conviction
- Alternative Sentences For Drug Crimes
- Possession Of Drugs For Personal Use
- Possession Of Marijuana Laws
- Possession Of Marijuana For Sale
- Drug Possession For Sale
- Possession Of Methamphetamine For Sale
- Possession Of Heroin For Sale
- Marijuana Possession
- Marijuana Possession For Sale
- Possession Of Cocaine For Sale
- Mental Health Diversion
- Immigration Relief
- Military Diversion
- Veteran’s Court
- Sealing & Destruction Arrest Records
- DUI Defense
- Attacking The Evidence In A DUI Case
- DUI DMV Hearing
- DUI Reductions Overview
- DUI FAQs
- DUI Court Case
- DUI Reduction: Dry Reckless
- DUI Reduction: Wet Reckless
- DUI Reduction: Exhibition Of Speed
- DUI Under 21
- The No Driving Defense
- 10 Common DUI Questions
- Real DUI Success Stories
- Social Media Could Hurt Your Los Angeles DUI Case
- The ‘Rising Blood Alcohol’ Defense
- What Happens When One or More Minor Children are Present in the Car When Arrested for DUI?
- You May Not Have Been Drunk When You Were Arrested For DUI In L.A.
- DUI-Related Reductions
- DUI-Related Enhancements
- Juvenile Defense
- Domestic Violence
- General Felonies And Misdemeanors
- Disturbing The Peace
- Accessory After The Fact
- Driving With A Suspended License
- Caught Driving With A Suspended License?
- Vehicular Manslaughter
- Texting And Driving – Distracted Driving Can Lead To Vehicular Manslaughter
- Vehicular Manslaughter | Resources
- Public Intoxication
- Can I Get My Public Intoxication Charge Dismissed?
- Tagging, Graffiti Can Lead To Stiff Penalties In Los Angeles
- Torrance Vandalism Lawyers Explain The Law & Your Defense
- California Vandalism Graffiti Law Penal Code 594
- Other Practice Areas
- The Criminal Court Process