Embezzlement | Burden of Proof
The Burden Of Proof In California Embezzlement Cases
A serious crime in California, embezzlement results in heavy punishments and possible jail time. Such charges also can make it very difficult to obtain and keep a job for the rest of your career.
If you are charged with embezzlement in California, you should keep in mind that your situation is not hopeless. With the help of an experienced Torrance criminal defense attorney, you may be able to successfully fight the charges. However, you must start immediately.
Treated as a form of theft in California, embezzlement refers to a situation in which someone trusted with funds starts using this money for personal reasons. This usually occurs in the context of an employee stealing from a company, but many cases involve business partnerships, government bodies, and more.
California embezzlement charges can arise when someone takes money from a cash register or writes fraudulent checks from a large company account. Due to the varying nature of the severity of crimes, embezzlement can be charged as a misdemeanor or felony.
There is a high burden of proof that must follow California embezzlement charges. For a guilty verdict, the prosecution has to prove that you had a relationship of trust with someone and that this person (or company) explicitly trusted you with certain funds.
Lastly, the prosecution must prove that you knowingly took property from this person or company, purposely betraying the trust between you. Even if you returned the money later, the prosecution must prove that you intended to keep it even for a short time.
As you can imagine, a skilled criminal defense attorney will likely be able to shed a reasonable amount of doubt on one or more of these facts. This may lead to an acquittal of charges or a reduced punishment if you are found guilty.
If you or a loved one has been charged with embezzlement in California or fear a pending charge, you do not have any time to waste. Contact The Law Offices of Robert Ernenwein, PC., today at 424-552-3901 for a free case review.
- Violent Crimes
- Criminal Threats
- Elder Abuse
- Second-Degree Murder In California: Different Than Zimmerman?
- Torrance Criminal Lawyers – Involuntary Manslaughter Defenses
- Murder Defenses In California
- Murder | Degrees
- What Can Be Learned About Your Defense
- Tips For Finding The Right Arson Lawyer
- Arson FAQs
- How To Fight Felony Arson Charges
- Child Endangerment
- Child Abuse & Child Endangerment | Resources
- Assault And Battery
- Assault & Battery Explanation
- California Assault And Battery Crimes
- Charged With Assault or Battery in Torrance, CA? What You Should Do if You Are Accused
- Weapons Charges
- Los Angeles Criminal Defense Lawyer: Carrying A Concealed Weapon
- Other California Weapons Charges
- Concealed Weapons
- Theft Related Offenses
- Auto Theft Defenses
- Petty Theft And Shoplifting
- Grand Theft vs Petty Theft
- Identity Theft
- California Identity Theft Law: Penalties And Defenses Available
- Facing Identity Theft Charges?
- White Collar Criminal Defense Attorney
- Identity Theft | Credit Card Theft
- Embezzlement Charges
- Charged With Embezzlement?
- Embezzlement | Burden of Proof
- Sex Crimes
- Drug Offenses
- How To Avoid A Drug Crime Conviction
- Alternative Sentences For Drug Crimes
- Possession Of Drugs For Personal Use
- Possession Of Marijuana Laws
- Possession Of Marijuana For Sale
- Drug Possession For Sale
- Possession Of Methamphetamine For Sale
- Possession Of Heroin For Sale
- Marijuana Possession
- Marijuana Possession For Sale
- Possession Of Cocaine For Sale
- Mental Health Diversion
- Immigration Relief
- Military Diversion
- Veteran’s Court
- Sealing & Destruction Arrest Records
- DUI Defense
- Attacking The Evidence In A DUI Case
- DUI DMV Hearing
- DUI Reductions Overview
- DUI FAQs
- DUI Court Case
- DUI Reduction: Dry Reckless
- DUI Reduction: Wet Reckless
- DUI Reduction: Exhibition Of Speed
- DUI Under 21
- The No Driving Defense
- 10 Common DUI Questions
- Real DUI Success Stories
- Social Media Could Hurt Your Los Angeles DUI Case
- The ‘Rising Blood Alcohol’ Defense
- What Happens When One or More Minor Children are Present in the Car When Arrested for DUI?
- You May Not Have Been Drunk When You Were Arrested For DUI In L.A.
- DUI-Related Reductions
- DUI-Related Enhancements
- Juvenile Defense
- Domestic Violence
- General Felonies And Misdemeanors
- Disturbing The Peace
- Accessory After The Fact
- Driving With A Suspended License
- Caught Driving With A Suspended License?
- Vehicular Manslaughter
- Texting And Driving – Distracted Driving Can Lead To Vehicular Manslaughter
- Vehicular Manslaughter | Resources
- Public Intoxication
- Can I Get My Public Intoxication Charge Dismissed?
- Tagging, Graffiti Can Lead To Stiff Penalties In Los Angeles
- Torrance Vandalism Lawyers Explain The Law & Your Defense
- California Vandalism Graffiti Law Penal Code 594
- Other Practice Areas
- The Criminal Court Process